Tuesday, August 16, 2011

An Unforeseen, Stronger Presence of Patriotism

Patriotism. In college, I deemed patriotic Americans as chauvinistic, flag-waving yuppies—those ignorant of the world beyond US borders. [Face runs parallel to floor.] After traveling to Western Europe, Asia and presently West Africa, I am ashamed to have applied those descriptors to such loyalists. I was a young fool who emitted an illusion of profound cultural awareness to my peers by devaluing American patriots. To my delight and thanks to living abroad, the US has itself another flag-waver and I accept it…wholeheartedly.

Why?

It isn’t because I joined the Peace Corps, nor is it because I “found myself” while training in Gbatopé, a small village in Togo. It’s because America is remarkable, Americans are adaptive, and I grew up.

Let me be clear and stress I do not view America as perfect. We’ve certainly got our problems (i.e. health care, economy, individual rights, etc). America, however, overflows with citizens interested in reshaping the norms if need be. C’est-à-dire…we bleed change. Sure, we fight among ourselves, quarrel like 60-year-old married couples and often agree to disagree. But hey, kudos for trying, right?! Americans aspire to fulfill the needs of not only our culture, but also our neighbors’ cultures. Hint, hint…the Peace Corps. We are the only country with such a program. Wow. And generally, people love us for it; or at least Togolese love us.

A couple of days ago, I ran a few errands around Dapaong. En route chez moi, I walked passed two gentlemen who whispered to each other, “Elle est avec le corps de la paix.” Translation: “She is with the Peace Corps.” Um, what?! Did someone put a Peace Corps sticker on my clothes without my knowledge? Did they see me when the PC Swearing-In Ceremony was nationally televised? I just smiled and continued my promenade home. News of Americans in Togo spreads like wildfire.

Why am I blogging about American patriotism while in Togo? WHY NOT. Do I dislike my Togolese experience thus far? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Before college, for instance, I found my hometown insufferable. It was petit, held many upsetting childhood memories, and was the whereabouts of some former boyfriends. Nevertheless, I wasn’t in college too long before I fully appreciated its splendor. With this post, it’s the same story.

All in all, America has a sufficient amount of charming attributes—no matter if I adopt a couple lifestyle changes in Togo or in another country—that, for lack of a better cliché, I want to grow old there.

Proud to be an American. J

6 comments:

  1. I never felt more proud than when I served my country in Peace Corps. And that's just what it is, a service to your country. For those of you who don't know PCVs take the same oath our elected officials and armed forces take. Vowing to "support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic." It's a pretty proud moment and while the US is far from perfect, for me, there's no other passport in the world I would rather carry. Congrats on joining the "PCV Family" Sam! I'm proud to have you!
    Best,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting website. Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done Sam G. Keep the blog posts coming, stay safe and keeping changing the world one day at a time. :-)

    -D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two comments: a lot of American patriots ARE chauvinistic, flag-waving yuppies ignorant of the world outside of US Borders, but then, as with anything, they hardly represent the real picture. True American patriotism is a wondrous thing to behold: it is measured not by Uncle Sam kitsch or even tanks and guns, but by the unshakeable reserves of confidence and relentless positivity that so characterise your people.

    The second is that as the spawn of a nation having a pretty divisive debate about patriotism, nationalism and independence, I am hugely jealous that you can have so much pride in your own country's achievements and identity, and have that pride reflected in the admiration of others. I would give anything to be able to feel that, either as a Scotsman or adopted American. Anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll adopt you for America. We could use more Scotsmen...aren't enough chez nous, that's what I say.

    Miss you Craig.

    Thanks Dan!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll hold you to that, Sam! Be careful what you wish for :)

    ReplyDelete