Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chez Moi

While cleaning my house this afternoon, it dawned on me that I hadn’t posted anything about my house in Dapaong. Pardonez-moi.

Grant it, this might not be the most interesting topic for a blog post, but I figure my parents might like to know where I sleep in Africa. So bear with me.

You might call it luck of the draw or perhaps karma, but my humble abode is sizable. I replaced a married couple and Peace Corps Admin wasn’t able to find another, smaller residence for Miss McCullough and there you have it. Hopefully my fellow volunteers won’t loathe me for writing this: Honestly, the house is too big for me. There are advantages and disadvantages to living chez moi. The advantages are evident: running water, electricity (off and on), fully furnished, solid cement walls and ceilings, and a roof. Disadvantages?? Thankfully, there aren’t many defects aside from all running water comes from my shower room, no sink, and the house is rather ancient thus I’ve already called several repairmen. These disadvantages are not complaints, I’ve actually gotten quite used to a manque de lavabo and other drawbacks. It’s just different.

And now what you’ve been waiting for…PHOTOS!!


This is the front of my house. (I’ve always wanted a wrap-around porch. Never thought I’d have one in Togo.)


My porch and compound.

Kitchen.

Bedroom: Where the magic happens…Ha!

2 comments:

  1. The magic of a sweaty spot on your bed and pillow that leave you searching for an alternate, dry, location in the bed? Those dry locations are magical indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written, Tavi. Just beautiful. It's poetry!!!

    ReplyDelete