Thursday, November 10, 2011

In-Service Training in Pagala

In-Service Training, or IST for the acronym inclined, is required of all PCVs; and it occurs three months after moving to post. IST is located in Pagala, southeast corner of the Centrale region. What’s it like there? Ever been to summer camp? It’s precisely that, well, that plus several technical sessions in French, a bit of Togolese food mixed with faux-American food, an empty pool, and lots of mosquitoes. Volunteers shared rooms together (two to one room) in cabins similar to those I often found in Michigan—minus the beautiful lakeside view.

We ate every single meal together in a dining hall and we also rendezvoused for a café break twice a day for five days. Whoa, I know. We often divided into our designated programs (CHAP and SED) to review information relevant to our goals and objectives. CHAP Trainers, for instance, informed PCVs on latrine projects, how to train health workers, how to give proper health talks to young adults, and the malaria campaign in Togo. Needless to say, it was tiresome for new PCVs to go from a laidback schedule to one that resembled a bit like boot camp—sans intense physical activities.

For the most part, the week in Pagala was pleasant. I ate well—probably, no most definitely, ate too much. I played games (ping-pong, Frisbee, chess, volleyball (with a soccer ball) and basketball); I watched a movie (X-Men: First Class…a bit disappointing); and on the last day of IST we all dressed up and celebrated Halloween together.

After just five months with PC Togo, I learned to appreciate one pivotal fact: The experience is what you make of it. Yes, PCVs have several guidelines to follow throughout service. Yes, PCVs often share ideas with one another and dive into cross-sector collaboration. These statements are very true, but also it is the responsibility of the Volunteer to assess the needs of his or her community. For me, it’s nutrition, hygiene and sanitation. It was nice to receive positive remarks on my project ideas from other Volunteers and Trainers during IST. Encouragement. Encouragement. Encouragement!

So, what’s my plan?

  • Set up a stand in my market and educate the community on basic nutrition.
  • Perfect the recipe for moringa juice and work with young adult groupements who may be able to prepare and sell the juice for a profit. (IGA: income generating activity.)
  • Attend sporting events every Saturday at Collège Saint Anthanese and do health talks on nutrition with young students.

What will I need to succeed?

  • Time
  • Preparation
  • A Moba translator
  • Proper materials
  • Money (I will most likely be obliged to pay for my spot at the market)

I think this plan is pretty realistic and applicable to the needs of my community. I just need to remind myself to have patience.

On verra.

Oh…and I just couldn’t resist a photo of this snail I saw in Pagala. I’ve seen so many in Togo I had to capture one! Always reminds me of The Bucket List:

Jack Nicholson on Buddhism:

“What does a snail have to do to reincarnate? Leave a perfect trail of slime?!”

No comments:

Post a Comment